VPI had a military presence beginning in 1872.
1880’s- 1900 Virginia Polytechnic Institute Shako Plate / Buttons. Gilt brass with school coat of arms on plate, having 4 wire loops for attachment on the back. Also included are the U.S. style (in shape) VPI side buttons, with one having the chin chain hook mounted.
The schools first five presidents were in the Confederate Army. Later became just Virginia Tech.
3.5 inches hight (plate).