Grouping belonging to Colonel J.B. Phipps, of the 4th Maryland National Guard.
This grouping belonged to Colonel Joseph B. Phipps, 4th Maryland Infantry (also 1st Md. during SAW).
Phipps was in the Civil War enlisting first into the 17th Indiana Vol. Infantry; then very briefly in the 107th Indiana for a week, then enlisting in the 7th Indiana Cavalry from 1863-65 to the end of the war. He began is Maryland career in the 70’s in the Maryland Guard and then joining the 4th Maryland Infantry. When war broke out with Spain, the 1st Maryland Inf. were called into Federal service and slated to go to Cuba (never went, but spent time in the south at camp). The 3rd battalion needed men and Phipps as well as men from other regiments volunteered to serve. So Phipps served with that unit during the SAW. His highest rank was full colonel as the Adjutant General of the 4th Maryland Brigade.
The lot consists of the following:
- Fancy Sterling silver engraved utility pocket knife with 2 blades, cork screw, and hook, named, “Col. J.B. Phipps Umpire 1895” The narrow blade is maker marked, EMPIRE / W WINSTED (Conn., 1856- 1930). 2 3/4 inches folded. Fine condition.
- 2nd Corps badge, 1st Division. Red enamel and gilt, brass; pin b ack. C.E. VOKES / MAKER / COVINGTON / KY. 30mm. Fine condition.
- Tintype in paper protective frame/sleeve. Taken by QUARTLEY’S GALLERY, BALTIMORE, Ink inscription on cover reads, “Dressed in his new suit of cloths” This 3.5 x 5 inch tintype was taken on July 30, 1890. Fine condition with hardly any issues (paper cover separating at the fold, but still intact).
- A pair of cabinet cards, of Phipps in the 4th Maryland gray uniform. He is wearing his baldric in both images, holding sword in one. The photograph mark, C- 1890. 4 1/4 x 6 .5 inches. Both very good -fine condition.
- Large photo of outdoor gathering at “Tolchester Beach, Aug. 4th, 1881” titled “Breaking Camp.” Image size is 7 1/4 x 9.5 inches (mount has been trimmed on right). Most of the 4th Maryland are in gray uniforms, Phipps and a few others in fatigue blue (Phipps is wearing the summer pith helmet. General composed posing along with some horsing around. Some foxing, and glue residue on lower mount, assuming this photo was once framed. An nice image.
- Portrait photo of Phipps C-1870s, taken by RICHARD WALZL, BALTI. (his monogram on a camera with Cherub below). Lime green mount with decorative gold border. Image size 6 3/4 x 8.5 inches; overall 10 x 12 inches. Another fine image with little negative to speak of.
This lot is from a much larger grouping we sold several years ago, this material just coming to us.