A piece of wood plank recovered from a dig along Cap Code; a ship wreck that took place in 1626.
This piece of wood had this old note wrapped around it, “Piece of plank from the wreck of the ship Sparrow-hawk belonging to the British which was wrecked uppon Cape Cod dureing the Revolution and accidentily dug from the sand and placed in Pilgram Hall in Plymouth, Mass.”
“According to the National Park Service, the first recorded wreck off the coast of Cape Cod was the Sparrow-Hawk, which ran aground at Orleans in 1626. Originally from London, England, the Sparrow-Hawk was making a six-week voyage to the English Colonies when it was wrecked. The skeleton of the ship was recovered in 1863 and has been reconstructed for various exhibitions. The reconstructed hull currently belongs to the Pilgrim Society, the reconstructed hull has been featured at the Cape Cod Maritime Museum in Hyannis.” (capecod.com)
The wood is 7 1/2 inches long and has a faint trace of blue or gray color in the wood. The label was written on paper that looks like its from the later half of the 19th century.
A neat piece of New England history.