9th Army Corps Flags – Original Hand Colored Document – August 1864

$395.00

This document was made on legal size paper, and shows all of the flags used by the 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac.  The title is “Designated Flags of the 9th Army Corps  ….Army of the Potomac.”  Probably made by a staff scribe with some artistic ability, at “Head Quarters, Army of the Potomac, August 1st, 1864.  Approved,  By Command of Maj. Gen. Meade.  (sgd) S. Williams, A.A.Genl.”

Captain Jno D. Bertolette, Asst. Adjt. Gen’. signed the document.

The progression goes from Corps Head Quarters -1st Division and it’s brigades, followed by the 2nd and 3rd Divisions, and brigades.  The small fork tailed flag at the lower right is for the Chief Quartermaster.

The artwork and coloring is very nicely done.  Framed in an older frame, with the document having been taped down on the mat. Some of the tape adhesive has stained the document, not so badly that it detracts.

On the reverse is the military history of Bertolette: See photo.

The Ninth Army Corps used several different flags during its existence between July 22, 1862 and August 1, 1865. The corps badge, authorized on April 19, 1864, called for the design of a shield on which a fouled anchor lies beneath a cannon. The Ninth Army Corps used several different flags during its existence between July 22, 1862 and August 1, 1865. The corps badge, authorized on April 19, 1864, called for the design of a shield on which a fouled anchor lies beneath a cannon.

This document was submitted to headquarters for final approval which came later in the month.  The Ninth Army Corps used several different flags during its existence between July 22, 1862 and August 1, 1865. The corps badge, authorized on April 19, 1864, called for the design of a shield on which a fouled anchor lies beneath a cannon.

A scarce document of which there may be only one copy.

Below is the 1864 1st Division, 9th Corps Flag.

 

In stock

Contact Us About This Product

Additional information

Weight 3 lbs