This grouping of medals and badges is identified to Bugler Samuel L. Bourgeois, MVM.
Massachusetts Volunteer Militia grouping of shooting medals and badges belonging to Bugler Samuel L. Bourgeois, Co. “A” Sixth Infantry, MVM. From the little I found on him, he was a member of the Massachusetts State Team, and competed over a number of years in competition with the regular Army and National Guard shooting teams from other states across the country.
The Mass. Adjutant’s Report for 1901 list Bourgeois as winning an individual prize for 14th place. He is listed in the Army & Navy Gazette in 1905, as participating with the rifle team at Fort Riley, Kansas (there is a medal here given to him as a member of the team at Ft. Riley in 1904). I’m sure with patience and the research know how, more can be found on Bourgeois.
This grouping consists of the following:
- MVM Distinguished Marksman’s badge, in bronze.
- 2nd Prize Sterling (Marriott/ Boston) Silver medal, 6th Infantry, dated on the front, “1861- 1898” and has a Rhode Island vest sized button at the center. Chain links suspended from the pin brooch are separated from the main medal.
- 3rd Prize Sterling Silver medal, same as above in style, with Spanish vest button at center. “BUGLER SAM’L BOURGEOIS / CO. A / SCORE 68 / 1901.”
- Gold medal “SHARPSHOOTER / MVM / FOURTEENTH PRIZE 1900.
- 1900 SHARPSHOOTER bronze badge (Hayes Bros).
- Silver colored badge with gold applied letters /numbers / enameled target; EXPERT 1903 with bars for ’03 & ’04. Pin bar broken.
- Gold plated?, medal, STATE TEAM /1904 / MVM, engraved on the back, “Fort Riley, Kansas” (on ladder), S.A. Bourgeois (got his middle wrong). fine condition, with some water staining to rwb ribbon.
- Bronze badge, THE NATIONAL MATCH / FORT RILEY 1904. Back reads, Compliments of Hayes Bros, Newark, NJ etc.
- 1911 MEMBERS MATCH, bronze with gilt badge, NRA (in color) monogram at center.
- Bronze ARLINGTON (Mass) RIFLE CLUB / NRA.
- Bronze ARLINGTON RIFLE CLUB, NRA.
- STERLING ARLINGTON RIFEL CLUB BADGE / WATCH FOB.
- Partial lower section of the M1885 sharpshooter badge.
- Un-ribboned, badge MVM SHARPSHOOTER badge, 1897.
- Single color MVM Expert Marksmen collar insignia in gilt, attaching wires broken off.
- 1903 brass and enamel 6th Regiment pin. (Marriott – Boston).
- 2nd Massachusetts Brigade insignia; shield with blue enameling.
Overall a nice grouping for one long time marksman in the Mass Militia.