The 30th Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Camp Randall, Madison, Wisconsin in October of 1862. Two of its companies, “G” & “K” are represented in documents relating to provisions in the year of 1863, while both of these companies were serving in the Dakota Territory, or in Wisconsin, called up after the Sioux uprising in Minnesota the year before.
- Provision Returns for “G” Company for 1 day, 23rd August, 1863. A printed form document requisitioning rations for 55 men, and signed by 1st. J.E. Tilton, commanding company, and Major John Clowney, commanding (detachment). At this time Company “G” was stationed at Camp Washburn, recently arrived from Superior, Wis. (a newly built stockade with blockhouse to keep watch on the Chippewas, who had be riled up but remained friendly, after the 1862 Sioux uprising), Company “G” would remain in Wisconsin through the winter.
- Manuscript Provision Return for Stragglers for one day, dated December, 7th, 1863. The document names the Assistant Commissary of Subsistence Williams, and signed by Major John Clowney, Comd’g.
- “Provision Return for Co. “K”, 30th Wisconsin for five days commencing on the 11th and ending on the 15th day of Dec. 1863.” Number of men 45, women 2, 240 rations. Signed by Lt. Ed. Devlin, Comdg. Co., and John Clowney, Maj, Comd’g. Prior to being ordered back to Camp Washburn. Co. “K” was in Dakota Territory under General Alfred Sully’s command during his first campaign against the Sioux.
In October of 1864, under the command of Major Clowney, Companies G & K would be sent to Fort Wadsworth, and established that post in the Dakotas. The fort was later named to Fort Sisseton, after the army realized it already had a Fort Wadsworth in New York Harbor (Staten Island).
All of the documents are in very good to fine condition.