A rare National Guard cavalry insignia- later redesignated the 181st Field Artillery.
The 109th Cavalry Regiment was part of the National Guard, pulled from the states of Tennessee, North Carolina, and Alabama. Formed in 1921 and part of the 23rd Cavalry Division. In 1940, just prior to the U.S. entering WWII, the unit was converted into the 181st Field Artillery Regiment.
Two black horses set atop the insignia with Confederate cavalry General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s bust is on the white inner shield. Made by Bailey Banks & Biddle, marked on the back, this insignia is seen in their 1928 catalog.
A rare insignia.