Early post Civil War cartridge conversion of a .44 caliber Colt Army revolver.
This 6 shot Richard’s conversion was produced by the Colt sometime after 1873, and is roughly a third of the way in the serial range of those numbered from 1 – 8700 (total production was about 9000). This serial number is 3815, and all the numbers on the revolver match. There is no number on the wedge, and does appear to be the original, matching in condition and finish. Produced in .44 Colt centerfire
Overall the revolver has a pleasing plume brown finish, and mechanically sound, walnut grips original to the gun. Markings are clear on the top of the 7 3/4″ barrel, “ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA” and why it was shortened in unclear, unless the original owner didn’t like a possibly worn muzzle. The muzzle was re-crowned in the period of use. “COLTS PATENT” in two lines on the left side of frame; “COLT PATENT No. 3815” on the cylinder, which also retains most of the very well defined Naval battle scene. Bore with rifling remaining (a well used gun in respectable condition). Loading gate locks up nicely; spring in the ejector housing is strong. Grips show some light scratching and dings with most of the wear toward the lower butt area.
This revolver has the look of a well used, but cared for Western piece. Near 1200 of these went to the Army, and a number of these have turned up over the years being used by officer’s out west, along with cattlemen, and anyone in need of a dependable large caliber revolver with quick load capabilities.