A nice grouping with medals, citations, certificates, photos, and more for a pilot in a Marine bomber outfit.
Marine Pilot’s Medals, Documents & Photo Grouping – VMB -433. This grouping of WWII material belonged to Captain Edward M. R. Kromka, USMCR, from Boonton, New Jersey. He served in the Corps for 4 years and 19 months on active duty in the Pacific Area, attached to the Marine Bombing Squadron (VMB) -433 (B-25s Mitchell Bombers).
As 1st Lt. Kromka was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism and extraordinary achievement in aerial flight as Pilot of a Bomber..in VMB-433 for action against Japanese Forces in the Bismarck Archipelego from 5 to 29 March, 1945. and was awarded the Air Medal with 3 stars for various combat missions in the same area.
His grouping consists (and not in exact chronological order):
- DFM in box (5 3/4″), un-named.
- Air Medal in box with 3 gold stars on separate card stock.
- Citations in letter form for the medals above for each action Kromka participated in, etc.
- Illustrated USN Air Station, Pensacola, Florida, Naval Aviators Certificate dated April of 1943.
- Certificate for Marine Air – Infantry School, Fifth Class,
- Certificate of Discharge, period photo copy attached to New Jersey records for Veterans signed by Clerk of Morris Co.
- Other civilian certificates for hight school, Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy, Dept. of Interior -Bureau of Mines.
- USMC Education and Training Form, and several other documents relating to service.
- 2 New Jersey News pages showing Kromka’s medals, and photocopied citations printed in local paper, and also a photo on the page with his father a local police officer.
- Letter from a friend writing to Kromka’s family concerning his mental state, while in a hospital in Oakland, California, (service related stress?), dated Oct. 1946.
- Numerous photo, including VMB- 433 group photo, Kromka standing in front of a B-25, shots in service dress, full dress (color), in cockpit of plane showing squadron insignia, another in cockpit with flight helmet and on, snaps shots in uniform and with family.
- Birth Record.
- Newspaper article with photo of him, and mention of the medals awarded overseas.
- VMB -433 Squadron Album /History, done in the Soloman -Bismarck Area. over 70 pages profusely illustrated with crew photos, and all ground personnel, and contains full muster roll of squadron.
The material is in fine condition. A super record / grouping for this Marine aviator from WWII.